Biomass and Biotechnology for Biofuels
The Institute of Forest Biotechnology will coordinate with North Carolina State University and the Biofuels Center of North Carolina on the Biomass and Biotechnology for Biofuels project. At the end of the three-year project, the Biofuels Center will have:
- The first-ever biotech tree test plot that is in accordance with the Responsible Use Initiative to exhibit world-class stewardship of advanced feedstocks.
- Deployed extremely rare Heritage Trees® developed specifically to test species rehabilitation and public understanding of applied biotechnologies.
- A coordinated, statistically-sound research program to discover public attitudes of a new, bio-based economy using advanced feedstocks and biofuel creation technologies.
- Published articles on the societal research and documentation of the results.
- Educational material that can be used as stand-alone products, targeted to policy and decision-makers, or used in conjunction with K-12 modular curricula.